Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tech: Side Mount License Plate Install

One thing I really don't like about the VRSC is the cheesy plastic license plate and turn signal combo in the rear. This is one thing I needed to change to make this bike one step closer to mine.



There are several types of side license plate mounts out there, so this may or may not help you with your own project. Hopefully it will give a good idea of what is involved.

One day on my way home I decided to stop at the Hog Farm http://www.the-hog-farm.net/. This place is a mix between custom, used and new motorcycle gear and parts. There are gas tanks from 1970s choppers, at least 1 rolling frame, American made leather wear and a work shop in the back where one can only imagine what cool bikes are being built back there. So for me it is cool just to stop in and say hello while I look through the store. On this trip I found a used Softail side mount made by Kuryakyn. Working at a machine shop I figured if the price was right I would scoop this up and make it work on my Nightrod. Well the price was right and so I took it home.


This frame does not align with the NY license plate. I had to round the corners more and slot the mounting holes to fit this frame. I will also note that the exposed parts of this are very nice, but when you take it apart, the unexposed parts are sharp and some caution should be used or you may cut yourself.




For the custom bracket to adapt this to my bike I cut out a cardboard template and from there I took some aluminum that I had and cut it out on my scroll saw. This allowed me to mount the license plate and see how it would look. From there I took some measurements and made a blue print of it to make my steel bracket. I have the 1" lowering blocks on my rear shocks so this bracket is made to work with those. I do not think this would work with the stock set up. You are welcome to use my print to make a bracket for your own bike, but if it is used to make a profit, I reserve the right to claim a %. =)




After making the bracket I mounted it and measured it for a third hole to thread the wires through (as it is a lit up license plate holder). I went to the local hardware store and bought a wire grommet and some vacuum line. I fitted the grommet in the bracket and threaded the wire through the vacuum line so that it wouldn't be exposed to the elements next to the wheel.



From there I led the wires up under the seat and followed the wire harness to the rear where the original license plate wire plug is. I ran the vacuum line where the line would rub against metal to protect it. When it met up with the wire harness I did not use the vacuum line any more. I had to visit the local Harley shop to get a plug (under $3) and crimped it on.

To get the rear seat and outer fender off takes simple tools. Metric Allen wrenches are almost all you need. If you have saddle bags, you will need a set of metric wrenches or sockets to take the mounts off. To take the rear brake light out you can use a flat head screw driver under the outer fender and press the bottom clip in. I took the outer fender off with the light still attached. The rear plate mount and turn signals are basically one unit. This will come off easily after you remove a few screws and nuts. There will be three electrical plugs you will need to disconnect the license plate and turn signal assembly. The Harley-Davidson site has PDF files that can help if you need instructions. Look up the parts and some parts will have the PDF file right there to look at.


The two plugs that are not hooked up are for my next project, relocating the rear turn signals. I am still waiting on a few parts to complete that part of my bike.

Here is a photo with the new license plate on, but the rear outer fender and seat are not on yet. If you look closely you can see snow on the floor.


I froze my fingers off using soapy water to feed the wires through the vacuum line as I used the smallest diameter I could get away with. So far I am very satisfied with it and can't wait to finish the turn signal relocation to put it back together and see the final poduct. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment