Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Early Paint Schemes

Like everyone, I have a vision of what I want my bike to look like when I am done. I have gone over seats, sissy bars, handle bars, lights and the list goes on. I have a good idea of what I want to add or subtract from the bike. Some are simple bolt ons and some are going to be custom made.

One thing I can not get my head around, is how do I want to paint the bike? I do know that I want to do some of the painting. I may have someone put down the primer and a base coat so that I can airbrush something on it. Then I would have them clear coat it and buff it.

But what should I do? I know I like black. I had a black 2003 Sportser that looked sexy. My dad had a black 1996 Softail Custom with red pin stripes. I think a base of black is required for me.

I have a few drawings I will post and a couple of mock ups on my tank with painters tape.
I wasn't sure where I was going with the above drawing. It was a red racing stripes with fish net masking and hot rod flames. After drawing it, it kinda reminds me of Spiderman.



Corvette fans may recognise the above design. I call it the L88 after the Corvette L88 hood paint scheme. I got this idea watching a car auction on TV.

On this design, I was thinking about painting the silver V to look 3D like the front V on old car grilles

This is a double stripe like stock Nightrods have, but wider.


I don't have it drawn, but the lead thought I am having is the "real flame" look. I painted something like it in high school (early 1990s) so I think it is something I could handle.

I am in no rush to figure it out now. I have to finish customizing before I paint, but thought I would throw my ideas out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment